Thursday, January 21, 2010

Great News


I have 2 pieces of great quilt news!
The first is that I received a box of scraps in the mail from Julie! Look at all these great fabric bits! Thanks for sharing your treasure Julie! They are going in my pile of things to take to quilt retreat at the end of February...yes, I'm starting to get my projects organized and compile my list of things I want to work on. It gives me something to think about when I can't fall asleep. These scraps are going to be sewn into string blocks that I have been working on for a couple of years. You can see some of my blocks and another pile of scraps in this post from 2007. I should soon have enough to start putting them together and am using the "quilt-as-you-go" technique.
The second piece of news is that my quilt group called the "Sew 'n Sews" picked up the quilt that we made to donate to the Mennonite Relief Quilt Auction in May. (You can read about the beginning of the quilt here.) You can click here to see where the money goes and what they are doing to help the people of Haiti.  The MCC does great international work and we are proud to be a small part of their fundraising efforts.
Our quilt was hand quilted at Country Lane Fabrics, where they also put the binding on for us.
It was a cold day to venture out to the little country store but we were excited to see our finished quilt...here it is!

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh, how much fun is that sorting through those scraps!!! Your donation quilt is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Andrea said...

How lovely - some-one elses scraps - true treasure. Hoping your quilt will turn up soon Kathy - I posted it 8th December so should be there before too long - fingers crossed xx

julieQ said...

I love your finished top!! Hope you enjoy the strings...I love them.

Margeeth said...

That donationquilt looks lovely, I hope it will raise a lot of money.

By the way, I am going on a retreat in march and have also started deciding what I am going to bring with me (already).

SandyQuilts said...

WOW I love love the quilt. Hope it brings lots of money at the auction.