Friday, July 16, 2010

Polka Dots

Polka dots seem to be everywhere these days! Pat Sloan wrote a polka dot post (click here and scroll down for some fun photos) and Thelma wrote about her love of dots (click here).
I love polka dots too! Last year I made a pink and purple polka dot quilt and quilted it with some circle designs (click here to see that post). Here is the quilt with my lovable dog Molly.
And this month I am working on a mini dolka dot "leader and ender" project. I found a bunch of dotty batik strips in a scrap bag from my friend Judy (click here to see the pile) and have cut up the strips into 1 1/2" squares and 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangles.
I am storing the little pieces in this cute box that I received from Julie (click here to see what used to be in that box).

And I couldn't resist sewing up a few blocks!
I saw this block on a post by Bonnie Hunter back in the spring (click here to see it) and she used 2" strips, but many of the strips I received were 1 1/2" so I went with that size and my blocks will be 3" finished. All the fabrics will have dots and will not be colour coordinated in any way...whatever dotty scraps are in the bag, and whatever dotty batiks I can find in the stash will be in the quilt. I will just keep sewing blocks until I run out of dotty scraps!

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Love what you're doing, Kathy. Well, I always love what you're doing. :-)

Gotta love those polka dots, too.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice dots!!! I love batiks!

Thelma said...

I guess dots are hot in addition to me being hot for dots!!

Love the dot batiks, a wonderful idea, good luck and keep us posted as to your progress !!

Karen said...

I have been seeing lots of polka dot fabrics. I think polka dots added to just about any quilt makes a good choice.

julieQ said...

Oh, I like that so much!!! Wonderful polka dotted goodness!

Gari in AL said...

I didn't have any dotty fabric until Spring when I bought a bunch and made Going Dotty. Last night I got the back loaded on the HQ and hope to get the rest loaded this morning (if I get off this computer) and pick out a panto for it. And, yes, I am excited about it.

scraphappy said...

Love the dots. I have some blocks in that same pattern that I was doing as leaders and enders until some of the bits got lost along the way. I'm sure they will turn up any day though. Then I'll have to find the blocks again.