Friday, August 26, 2011

Blueberry Report 2011

It's time for my annual blueberry report. This year I went to the blueberry patch twice...once with my mother-in-law and daughter, and once with my brother and a friend. We enjoyed wonderful visits in the blueberry patch and we picked about 60 pounds of blueberries at $2 per pound!
When we came home I couldn't help myself and made up my first batch of 2011 jam. Half of the jars are pure blueberry jam and half are peach-blueberry jam. We haven't finished our  2010's jam yet, so why am I making more jam when it's probably cheaper, and definately more convenient, to buy commercially produced jams?
Reason #1 - I love blueberry picking! It's a relaxing and enjoyable outdoor activity, and it's quality visiting time with your fellow pickers...especially with my 86 year old Mother-in-law. She is her "best self" when she is blueberry picking, and we enjoy great conversation about her life and her family history while picking. She is a great berry picker, so we now have mountains of berries and I have to find things to do with them...jam, muffins, cakes, cobblers, pies, etc!
Reason #2 - I love blueberries! They are one of my favorite foods and the health benefits can't be beat! I put these 13 bags (each with 4 cups of blueberries) into the freezer for us to enjoy over the winter.
Reason #3 - I love to cook things from scratch. If I didn't work outside the home, I would make all my family's food from scratch.  When I make jam, I know every ingredient that goes into it. 
Fruit is the number #1 ingredient ...not sugar, or other weird ingredients and additives (have you seen this video about "blueberry products" that have NO blueberries?!) I think my jam tastes better and is healthier for us to eat. 
Anybody else out there an obsessive jam maker?!? If you have a good recipe to use up blueberries I'd love to try it!

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love making jam and blueberry jam is my husband's favorite. I use the basic Sure-Jel recipe although I'm going to try a higher ratio of berries in the next batch. He likes his jam a little less jelled than what I made. But, I'd love to try another recipe if you have a recommendation! I eat blueberries, along with strawberries and blackberries in my daily smoothie. As for jam, blackberry and cherry are my favorites!

Diane said...

I luv blueberries too. You're so lucky to be able to pick so many and that is a bargain price. I freeze them to make muffins during the winter. My husband (sadly) won't eat them but my kids do.

Janet O. said...

I do love to cook from scratch and make my own jam. It is great to know what is really in your food! My husband LOVES blueberries, but they are a bit tricky to grow here. I usually make strawberry and raspberry jam, as I grow those. And when Dad gives me peaches or apricots, I have made jam from those, too. Yes, it does pile up in the freezer!!
I buy frozen blueberries and make muffins and pies, or throw them in with raspberries and blackberries for a Razzleberry pie. We use them in smoothies, and I think it was LuAnn over at LOOSE THREADS that posted a lemon blueberry bread several weeks ago. It is from the Cake Bible by Rosy Beranbaum. Looks delicious!

Ellen said...

Scary video - my husband loves blueberries. We make a lot of freezer jams because the recipes we use have less sugar.

Libby said...

Sounds just delicious! I love making things from scratch whenever I can *s*

floribunda said...

We have blueberry bushes in the garden but the mockingbirds discovered them this year -- grrr. I've made lemon-blueberry bread, banana-blueberry bread, and all sorts of cobblers with blueberries combined with something else. My one disappointment was a blueberry pie -- just too much!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I just had my mil bring home 2 - 5 qt ice cream pails of blueberries for me to freeze for pies!!! Mmmm blueberry pie!!!

Lori said...

And I thought we picked a lot of blueberries. We are under you at about 40 pounds. No jam this year though. I went jam crazy last year and have a lot left over.