Friday, October 28, 2011

Apple Time

Every October I renew my love affair with apples. They are so fresh, crisp and cheap at this time of the year. And because I have braces on now, I can't bite into a yummy apple for a while! So I have been experimenting with some apple recipes that will allow me to enjoy the fall apples throughout the year (while not damaging the braces!)


First I made Judy's Caramel Apple Jam. It was yummy but even the kids thought it was too sweet. Maybe I used the wrong (not tart enough) kind of apples?


Then I made a batch of Judy's Apple Butter which is cooked in the crock pot and made the entire house smell delicious all day. I really cut down the sugar this time and used a little more than half of the recipe (2 cups of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar). Just perfect! I could even sip this treat through a straw if worse comes to worst!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Homemade apple butter sounds so yummy. Love it on biscuits.

Judy D in WA said...

Thanks for testing my way with Apple Butter...I cut the sugar on my second batch too. Now Connie makes me want to make biscuits. :)

jeaniequilts said...

Oh Kathy now you have me craving apple butter on hot toast slathered with butter...yummy.
Thanks for posting your recipe Judy D. Can't wait to try it.

Merilyn said...

The Apple Butter sounds very nice!!! So good to use up this wonderful produce for the winter months!!!

Jean said...

I feel for you as I love apples too. Try some apple crisp, should be easy to eat and yummy too!

Libby said...

*mmmm* apples! I made two pies this week - they didn't last long *s*

sunny said...

I need some fresh apples! Your recipes sound deeelish.