Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mennonite Relief Sale 2013

It was another fun day at the annual quilt auction in New Hamburg. I have attended annually with my Mom for as long as I can remember. Various friends have joined us over the years, and this year my Dad even stopped by to get in on some fun! We didn't actually buy a quilt this year, but it was the coldest year I can ever remember, and I was ready to buy a quilt so that I could wrap up in it and keep warm! 

This was the line up for strawberry pie at 8:30 am! 
I kid you not!
I had to taste test the pie to make sure it was safe for public consumption.
No, I did not eat the WHOLE pie!
My small group of quilting friends (the "Sew 'n Sews") have made 4 quilts for this quilt auction over the years: 
*Wings of Friendship - $475
*Split Decision - $400
*Chicklets - $325
This year our quilt was a Bonnie Hunter pattern called "Bricks and Stepping Stones" and it sold for $375! It looked great up there on the auction block/bed!
There were so many gorgeous quilts to enjoy, which you can view on the website catalogue (click here). And you can see some video footage that someone posted of last year's auction (click here). The video gives you a feel for the auction and features one of my favorite bid "spotters"...he is quite a character and entertaining to watch!
The featured quilt this year was made by the amazing and talented Judy Pearce. Here she is with her quilt, which was inspired by a photo taken at a previous quilt auction (which is clipped to the left side of the quilt). 





Judy gave me permission to post this photo of herself with the new quilt owner Brenda Jewitt (on the left) and Judy's parents (on the right).
Guess how much this quilt was sold for?!?
$10,000!
Yep... that is with 4 zeros!
We are just so proud of you Judy!
On the local news tonight it was reported that they raised over $310,000 at the sale this year. Here is the local news report.
It was truly an inspiring day. I will count down the days until next year... and we better get to work on planning our next donation quilt!

9 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow, that is an amazing quilt that raised $10,000. But I love the quilt your group made, too!
I'd line up for pie in the morning--it makes a lovely breakfast!! : )

Joy V said...

What a great idea for raising funds, AND to think that over $310,000 was raised - fantastic.

Karen said...

How neat that you have helped raise money with your quilts.
And a quilt selling for $10,000.....wow! For a very good cause.

Betty said...

Lovely pictures! Can you believe we sat for 7 1/4 hours! Beautiful quilts! I am enjoying the memories and really don't want to buy a quilt.
Mom

Betty Lou said...

Amazing! Beautiful collection of quilts and a little pie to keep you,going is not bad either.

Quilt Rat said...

Oh my gosh! I met Judy just last week.....I did not realize that she had made this incredible quilt. I have seen some other pieces by her....FABULOUS!!!!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wonderful Quilts! Kudos to those that make them and to those that give so generously!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! What a great event and so happy to see that it was hugely successful!!! Your quilt was a wonderful addition too :*) I love the picture of you with the strawberry pie - that look on your face says, "Mine! Back off and don't touch my pie!" LOL!!!

Khris said...

That pie looks so good Kathy.
$10k...wow...that is awesome.
Hugs Khris