Sunday, July 07, 2013

Slow Sunday Breathing

The theme of this past week is BREATHING.
We can't live without oxygen, and both my brother and my daughter have needed oxygen tanks this week. I am now an expert in using various types of tanks and breathing devices!


These are just a few of my brother's oxygen tanks that are used for traveling to medical appointments. In the photo on the right he is refilling the little portable tank from the "mother ship" tank, getting ready for a 7 am appointment for a lung draining procedure. 
We could all breathe a little easier when that appointment went well!

He has many other types of oxygen tanks to use at home while he is trying to recover from a rare type of lung cancer called Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma. He has survived one week post chemo treatment...5 more treatments to go. 
He is brave! 
These are my daughter's oxygen tanks.

She just successfully completed her divers certification! 
Here she is with all the required gear for breathing under water. 
She is brave!

As for me, some of the oxygen in my tank comes from quilting. Today I will breathe and stitch and fill my tank!
I plan to put a few more stitches in my "Journey of a Quilter" project...while I focus on breathing. Sometimes you just have to take life one stitch and one breath at a time.

What are you slow stitching today? Here is a fun song to listen to while you stitch...

Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us. We love to see what you are working on!

16 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

A brave brother indeed. Thinking of you all.

Carol Swift said...

This is a beautiful and touching post...love the references to oxygen. I'm sending positive thoughts to your brother as he undergoes his treatment. Yes, he is brave. Congratulations to your daughter on her certification!

Teresa in Music City said...

Lovely, thought-provoking post Kathy! I am reminded to refuse to take my blessings - like the effortless ability to breathe- for granted! I pray you will grow in courage and strength with each stitch ;-)

Deb A said...

Congrats to your daughter on being a certified diver! Hope your brother is able to breathe a little easier this week. Enjoy the peaceful stitching to recharge your batteries today.

julieQ said...

I am praying for your sweet brother, Kathy...many hugs to you, and I hope you enjoy filling your tank with some slow stitching today.

Deanna W said...

Oh my you scared me for a moment, thought something bad happened to your daughter too. Hope your brother continues on his healing journey. He is brave but I think you are too and a strong lady as well.
Hugs to you my friend!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

My quilting is so slow today you 'can't' see it......grin. The grandkids are here.

Prayers for your brother.

Amy said...

Happy Sunday Kathy, and thank you for sharing a post that should make all of us stop and reflect for some time.
I hope to be hitting some relaxing Sunday breathing with a new rag quilt later on this afternoon.

Kate said...

Glad that your brother won the first round with chemo. Hope that things continue to improve.

Barb said...

Best of luck to your brother....

Kindred Quilts said...

Lovely post Kathy. Simple things we take for granted, others must struggle for. So glad the first round of chemo went well for your brother.

Raewyn said...

Best wishes to your brother too... my daughter is in hosp with oxygen at the moment so your post rung a bell with me too(her's is more bronchitis/asthma related). Hope you have a satisfying slow stitching day.. the 'Journey of a quilter' quilt is a beauty.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Prayers and positive thoughts for your brother--my SIL has COPD and is on oxygen--

Sheila said...

Very thoughtful post today, Kathy. Your brother will be in my thoughts this week.

Janet O. said...

I love how you have interwoven the breathing idea throughout this post.
Your brother is a brave warrior!

audrey said...

'As for me, some of the oxygen in my tank comes from quilting.' Love how you wrote that! Sounds like you're trying to share the burden. Glad you've found something that helps you too.:)