Sunday, August 25, 2013

Slow Stitching Sunday

Guess what I am finally trying?!?  Hexies!
I hadn't tried hexie sewing yet, and when the "Be a Hexie Queen" Blog Hop was announced, I eagerly signed up, thinking it would be the motivation that I needed to give it a try. Of course, I had to try it out in miniature size and just look at these little cuties! It is a great meditative and relaxing technique, but I don't think I am loving it enough to start making entire quilts out of these things!  It has been fun to use them for a border. 


I have just finished up the binding on this little hexie project. You'll have to stop by tomorrow (that's my day in the blog hop) to see how my finished project turned out.



This weekend my poor "Slow Stitching" hands have been doing this! 
Yep...attending the Mumford and Sons Gentlemen of the Road Festival
Just me and 35,000 of my closest friends! There is only one band on the planet I would do this for, and it is this one...love these guys!



As much as I love Mumford and Sons, I realized that I am way too old for this kind of excitement anymore... can't wait to get back to quilting!

And...a follow up from last week's hand stitching linky party, the lucky winners of the tiny charm packs are posters #4 and #6. Congratulations to Teresa and Amy! 
What are you hand stitching today? Link up your blog post below and share your progress...


10 comments:

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

My daughters love Mumford and Sons! I'm sure it will be a fun concert for you! Your hexies look good! Sorry you are not enjoying it so much. Perhaps a different method of basting to take a lot of the work away? I have a post with an alternate way of basting. Here's the link if you are interested! http://hallbrookdesigns.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-journey-to-new-trick-for-piecing.html

Deanna W said...

Of course you would do it in minature!! You keep me wanting to sew and quilt. Keep up your quilting it is encouraging all of us!

Judy D in WA said...

Oh My Goodness, these make my hexies look huge! So itty bitty and oh so cute. Can't wait to see what you are doing with them.
35,000 close friends....how fun!

Kindred Quilts said...

Caution! Hexies can become an addiction... but oh what a fun addiction it is! Glad you are having fun!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I am just doing a little applique for a pillow...didn't do a blog post or have a picture or anything but stopped by. I have done a few hexies before and am amazed at your miniature ones! They are pretty time-consuming! About six months ago I picked up a vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt at the local mission store on half price day. I had been conveting it and was so glad that it had not been purchased yet. There's a picture of it on my blog here....
http://www.frugallittlebungalow.com/half-of-my-bed-is-in-the-garden/

I just put it out one day a week to look at / don't want to really USE it. It is oh so soft and in perfect condition. I cannot believe the work that some talented woman put in to it and that I was lucky enough to end up with it!

Teresa said...

Thank you so much for pulling my name for your give away! What a happy surprise for my day.

AnnieO said...

Those are tiny hexies! I have done only a couple but wasn't distracted too badly by them--there are so many other things needing my attention in the sewing room!

Concerts were not something I did too often but they are definitely overwhelming in that size!

Janet O. said...

My two 20-something sons traveled across the country last summer to see Mumford and Sons perform in Maine.
I would expect nothing less than a mini from you Kathy, but what is this all of a sudden--you are doing applique and now hexies? What next? Will I even know you anymore? : )

Jodi said...

I went to the Gentlemen of the Road tour when it made it's only stop in Australia in my quiet sleepy little rural home town - Dungog. I still can't believe they came to Dungog and despite the unbelievable heat it was an amazing experience and my first ever music festival in my 30th year. It was also my mums first and my daughters first (she was 2 at the time). Pretty special for all of us & Mumford and Sons did not disappoint they were amazing :)

Denise :) said...

Kathy, I *love* your tiny little hexies! I always tend to do BIG ones, but these littler ones are so sweet and hold a lot of appeal!! :)