Saturday, March 15, 2014

Scrappy Saturday - Teal


Happy National Quilting Day everyone! You can read all about it here and you can download the free "Stash Attack" pattern here. I am not planning to start a new project today, but I do plan to celebrate the day by sewing up some scraps and by doing some machine quilting.
Teal/aqua is the colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so I'm sewing a few more teal spool blocks. I also finished some blue blocks that were waiting to be finished since January. 
Teal and I haven't always been friends, and I first sewed with it 7 years ago (click here to see my first teal quilt). 

I found this info on the Colour Psychology website:

Effects of the Color Turquoise
Clarity of Thought: It enhances the ability to focus and concentrate, assisting with clear thinking and decision-making, and the development of good organizational skills.
Calming: It is calming yet invigorating, restoring depleted energies.
Non-emotional: A negative effect of turquoise is that it can cause people to be too aloof and to hide their emotional reactions.

I have been sewing the teal spool blocks on my "Blue White" machine. 
Yep... that's her name. 
It makes me smile!
What doesn't make me smile is the incorrect block I sewed - see it on the machine bed?! Oh well, start over and try again.
Now I am off to celebrate National Quilting Day by doing some machine quilting on my teal UFO blocks
How are you celebrating!?!?
To see more teal projects, hop over to SoScrappy.             


And if you can stand even more excitement today, it's going to be PLUS 1 degree outside!!! Here's a little video clip to make all you cold climate, winter weary, chilled-to-the-bone people smile... gotta love Rick Mercer!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the quilt. Great project!
I'm hoping to work on some potholders for a charity sewing group I joined this week, after the girls arrive for my daughters birthday sleepover that is.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your spools are looking great! I sure hope the teal will make me feel calm today. I need a break from all the stress this week!

Karen said...

Your are going to have a very pretty spool quilt.

Missy Shay said...

Since it is Saturday and going to be high 60s today, the day will be spent, with my husband, cleaning the yard! I would much rather be sewing! LOL

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very interesting thoughts about the color teal ;-) Love your spools! Enjoy the warmth??

Sherrill said...

That Scrap Attack pattern does NOT inspire me to sew anything! LOL But your spool blocks are BEAUTIFUL and LOVE the teal. That little weather skit was too funny! I'm sorry you guys are still freezing.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great looking spools. I am planning on playing with those 'lozenges' units all day.

Colleen said...

Love the teal color :)

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks!

I loved the video. We've gotten out of the constant cold and are now in the "bouncy" part of the year. It will be a high of 70 today, but the forecast for tomorrow is for an inch of snow!

Marly said...

I love your spool blocks.

The video made me laugh. I commiserate with everyone who's suffering the long winter. It just seems to have been too consistently severe, and too long.
I hope for everyone still in winter's grip that the thaw comes soon.

Sheila said...

Love your spool blocks. Going to love seeing all your spools come together into a quilt.
Cute video clip!

Janet O. said...

Got such a chuckle out of "+1". : )

Nell's Quilts said...

Calm but invigorated puts it just about right for how I feel when working with the teal Don't know why I don't use it more often. The spool blocks look great. The blues and teals blend together so beautifully. Enjoy National Quilt day with "Blue White".

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a great post today!

Dasha said...

Great link to the scrap pattern. Thanks for that. The spool blocks are looking great all up on the wall.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That video was just too cute, after this l-o-n-g, c-o-l-d winter (in the USA, not Canada). I just sent it to some friends.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That video was hilarious ... I loved the tagline "cloudy with a chance of making stuff up". Isn't that the truth! ha!

Your spool blocks are inspiring me to move my spool quilt up my "to-do list".