Monday, October 05, 2015

Design Wall Monday - Country Roads

I have my Country Roads mystery top together. My friend Sandy came over to sew on Friday night and we got to see each other's quilt tops. They couldn't be more different!



Isn't that amazing!??
After auditioning more than 25 fabrics for my setting pieces, I finally found this grey fabric that I was happy with. Although I don't usually try grey, this one works for me. It fades into the background and allows my high contrast blocks to shine. And Sandy's version is opposite... her blocks are a lower contrast and the setting fabric jumps up and shines.
We had a great time sewing together and were amazed by how different our quilts turned out. We discussed quilting and finishing ideas, and of course we discussed our next mystery projects. It's so fun to have a quilty friend who loves everything I do and is as crazy as I am... I always feel "normal" when I'm with her!!
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

12 comments:

Kate said...

That gray was a wonderful choice for your blocks. It's always so fun to see the same quilt in different fabrics. That's the one thing I really miss about taking classes, I don't get to see how someone else interpreted the pattern.

The Cozy Quilter said...

You are definitely normal in my world! Both tops look great! I love to see the same quilt in different fabrics!

Ellen said...

Looks great Kathy! All of the effort and time (and frustration) spent led you on the path to finding the perfect background fabric.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Both of them look wonderful! :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Both of them look wonderful! :)

Chantal said...

Great job Kathy. You found the perfect fabric to set off your blocks. Wish I could say the same for mine. I also love Sandy's mini which is inspiring me to try a few more fabrics. Congrats on beautiful finishes to both of you.

Deb A said...

Two lovely quilts. Love the grey choice. It is perfect.

Janet O. said...

Sounds like you have the perfect quilting buddy. And, hey, Kathy, if being with her makes you feel normal--hang onto that friendship!! *LOL* (sorry, couldn't resist)
Very fun to see the contrast in your little quilts made from the same pattern.

Mary said...

I like the Gray, too. I'm just not a Cheddar fan. I try to like it, it just isn't me. Crazy friends, I have a few of them, I follow their BLOGS...LOL Now I gotta get my Country Roads sewn together and my DWM Post written, maybe not in that order.

the girlfriend gap said...

Yea for Gray!!! It is the perfect touch, It makes everything shine : ) God bless quilty friends! Janita

Ivani said...

Both are beautiful. You sure found the perfect background for your blocks.

margaret said...

this shows how different the same design can look both equally appealing