Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Dog Beds


The quilt making process generates a lot of scraps. Some of them are too small to be used (even by me!) and some donated scraps are not useable (too flimsy, see-through, pulled threads, etc)
I put these scraps into fabric bags that I sew from old fabric I want to use up. Sometimes I use an old pillowcase.

Also, when you trim up a finished quilt before adding the binding, there is an inch or two of batting that really can't be used for anything.

In my sewing room, I cut up all of this and stuff it into a fabric bag. When the bag is almost full I sew the top closed and ... ta da...
doggie pillows.



When I have a few of these made, I take a trip over to the Humane Society. On my way over, I pick up some bags of treats to donate as a little memorial gesture to my dog Molly.  
These pillows are used as beds for dogs that are waiting for adoption. When the dog goes to it's forever home, the bag just goes into the garbage. But these pillows give the scraps one more season of usefulness before they end up as landfill.

14 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Thanks. That's a great idea!

Debbi said...

How wonderful! My three spoiled girls love to cuddle pillows and I bet that your dog beds are a huge source of comfort to dogs during a terrifying time. All three of mine are rescues and all three were scared and lonely when they were waiting

Debbi said...

For their forever homes.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Great idea, a perfect solution not to feel bad throwing away fabrics.
Greetings,
Sylvia

allthingzsewn said...

What a delightful idea. I'll be keeping this one.

Dolores said...

Thanks for this idea. I often come across stuff in my sewing room that I'd love to find a use for instead of throwing it out.

cajunquilter said...

What a great idea! So great I will start doing this! I hate tossing even the smallest scrap of anything and now I won't have to toss any. My oldest grandson graduates in about a month from high school and is going to be a vet. I will start collecting and making and he can either use them in the cages at his office, or give them as welcome gifts to new pet owners! Thanks for the wonderful idea.

sandi s said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing your idea. Hugs,

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Now that's an amazing idea!

Janet O. said...

I love the "use it up" mentality of this, and the comfort it gives to homeless dogs.

Judy D in WA said...

I am so mad at myself right now. I somehow missed reading this post and Friday I sent a bag of trimmings from my quilt as you go blocks with the garbage man! I was so ready to run in and make a dog bed. Grrrr. Now I know and will get myself set up to do just that! Thanks for the idea.

Marie said...

What a great idea. Too bad the pillows don't go with the dogs when they are adopted.

Kate said...

Great idea for those little scraps.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Linking your doggy bed idea to a post on my blog today. Love this idea!