Wednesday, January 11, 2017

UFO Report

The second Votes For Women panel is quilted! 
This is a 42 block quilt that was a sampler project from Barbara Brackman which started in 2012, and is made from reproduction fabrics. I am quilting it in 3 sections, and this panel is the two columns of blocks which will be on the left side of the quilt. It feels like a big accomplishment since I've been working on it for a few weeks.
The panel looks like it's curved in this long photo, but it's an optical illusion due to leaning on my design wall.
Each of the 14 blocks in this panel was quilted individually. I viewed each block as a mini quilt needing a unique quilt design to be created. I didn't mark any quilting designs, and just tried to create as many continuous curved lines as possible.

By Jessica Hagy














The next task is to piece a backing, prep a batting, then pin baste the third panel. You can see all the panels here
It feels like I have crossed a psychological hurdle on finishing this quilt and am stoked to get to work on the last panel. 
Linking up to Sew Fresh Quilts.

14 comments:

Deb A said...

Great job Kathy! You are doing great on your goal and will have this finished in no time!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Keep going! We are all cheering for you! Can you see us waving our Votes for Women pennants from the sidelines as you work on your quilt???

Janet O. said...

Way to go, Kathy! (Never knew you were a hurdler.) : )

Margaret said...

Your quilting looks beautiful to me. I think this quilt is going to be a treasure when it is finished.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Marvelous progress, what a huge project!

Teresa said...

The panels look great. I would love to see how you are combining the panels in the quilt as you go. I am trying to learn to do this technique and like to see how others do it.

Jeanna said...

Hope the momentum keeps going on this one. Those are pretty blocks and I love the quilting you've done.

Deanna W said...

Great x, y diagram...and so true. I am that way when I start a hand quilting project...all gung ho and then somewhere in the middle it wanes...then push to the finish!!!

Missy Shay said...

I have never heard of doing a quilt in panels, but it sounds like a good idea.

Mary said...

Doing great. You're determined to get it done! Go Kathy go!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Looks wonderful ! :)

Stephie said...

I love this Kathy - and congratulations on the progress! Great idea to quilt each one individually, it really highlights the 'personality' of each block.

audrey said...

Crossing that kind of hurdle feels like such a huge accomplishment! Congrats on getting thru!

Kate said...

This is going to be such a gorgeous quilt. The quilting is beautiful.