Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Blockheads Update



There have been 8 blocks posted so far for this sampler project, and I'm a little behind. Here are my 6 finished blocks on the design wall. The bee skep is finally done, although it needs some hand applique added to make it look more like bees would want to live there. 
I am working on block #7 right now and making little circles to sew into the penny basket. I'm using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles.  I start by basting around the fabric circle as if making a yo-yo, put the washer in the centre and pull the thread tight. 
I spray some "Speed Starch" into the little glass jar and then paint the edges of the circles with the starch using the paint brush. Then I iron the edges of the circle (the heat resistant plastic washer is still in the circle) and magically it makes a perfectly round circle. When it's dry, I remove the washer and the circle is ready to hand applique. The next step is to sew the basket block to put the circles into.
To see the newest Blockhead pattern, hop over to the Moda blog.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Wow. That's the best explanation of spray starch I've heard. Great idea. Thanks

Janet O. said...

That sounds like magic for perfect circles. Maybe even I could do that. LOL
Love the presence of the gold/cheddar (making allowance for monitor differences--not sure which color it is in real life) in each block.

julieQ said...

You have me beat...I have only three blocks done...but I am off work today, so watch out! Hee!!

Robin said...

I really like the colors you are using for Blockheads. They go together really well.

Julierose said...

Just beautiful blocks in this Blockheads SAL I love the bee skipa lot my own personal favorite...hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

Very fun blocks.